Skip to main content

So last week, there was a hardware problem on the Amazon EC2 server that my websites were hosted on, and because I was using ephemeral storage for my home directories as opposed to EBS which I'm using for the root partition, I lost the images and style sheets for my sites as well as my friend's site I was able to pull their style sheets out of my browser cache, but since I've not been visiting my own site for a while I did not have this information available for this site.

I used this as an excuse to upgrate or migrate my site from 6.x to 7.x and I have built a new theme which looks pretty similar to the last one. Because of this failure, I have setup some extra rsync backup, which I thought I already had established but apparently not. I have all of the images the site was using on my system at home, but not in the formats/locations they were in on the existing site. The database was being backed up nightly to the same ephemeral disk location, luckilly I didn't need these database backups because the databases were on EBS or in a separate RDS instance.

There are some painful lessons here, lessons I've already learned in the past but had to learn again. The site is back up, the articles/stories are all back, there are still some items I need to bring over from the old site and I need to re-upload most of the pictures. I have lost the theme/template work I was doing to create a new Sillicon Valley ISSA chapter website completely. Good thing I wasn't too far along.

I like the new interface to managing the site a lot more than the old 6 interface, some of the modules are VERY different, expect to see some more changes on my site as time goes on.


DISCLAIMER: This is a personal Web site, produced in my own time and solely reflecting my personal opinions. Statements on this site do not represent the views or policies of my employer, past or present, or any other organization with which I may be affiliated. All content is copyrighted.